How can I obtain a development permit application?
A development permit application can be obtained at our administration office or you can print an application below:

Development permit application – Titled Land
Development permit application – Crown land

Why do I need a development permit?
A development permit is issued in accordance with the requirements of Greenview’s Land Use Bylaw, which authorizes the development to take place. A development permit ensures that the proposed use of a development conforms to the development requirements for that specific district.

When do I need a development permit?
A development permit is required prior to any development taking place. Keep in mind that a development permit is not a building permit.

What types of development require a development permit?
Developments and uses that require a development permit include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Accessory buildings
  • Compressor installations
  • Dwelling unit, single detached
  • Dwelling unit, manufactured
  • Suites
  • Home occupations (major & minor)
  • Kennels
  • Pipe and equipment storage
  • Recreational (extensive and intensive)
  • Sand and gravel extraction
  • Signage
  • Solar collectors
  • Wind energy conversion systems
  • Work camps

For a comprehensive list of developments requiring a permit, please consult Land Use Bylaw No. 18-800 or contact planning and development staff for further explanation.

Is a development permit required for renovations to an existing building?
Yes. Renovations resulting in an expansion of usable floor area require a permit.

Is a development permit required for moving or replacing an existing building?
Yes. Moving or replacing a manufactured home, mobile home, residence or any accessory building whether placed on skids or a permanent foundation, regardless of size, requires a development permit.

What is a variance request?
A variance is requested when the proposed development would change or alter the development standards prescribed by Land Use Bylaw No. 18-800 . Variances may be granted at the discretion of the development authority. Examples, where a variance may be granted, include:

  • A change to setbacks from the front, rear or side property lines to a structure or building;
  • A change to the permitted size or area of a building; or
  • A change to the size of a lot area is required for specific uses.

Is a development permit required for a farm building?
There is no simple yes or no answer. Firstly, you must consider that “FARM” means an agricultural operation with gross annual sales of at least $10,000. If the FARM adheres to the criteria set out in the farm building confirmation form, a development permit is NOT required. If a property is zoned Agricultural One (A-1) District but does not adhere to criteria set out in the farm building confirmation form, a development permit application IS required.

Some of the criteria to develop a farm building for an agricultural operation without a development permit include:

  • Located on land used as a farm and supports the primary farm operation,
  • Associated directly with the farm on which it is located,
  • Used for livestock, storing agricultural products or storing and maintaining agricultural machinery; and
  • Meets setback requirements of Greenview’s Land Use Bylaw (40 metres from property line adjacent to a road or undeveloped road allowance; 15 metres from any other property lines; 7.5 metres from a service road).

If you are developing a farm building on your agricultural land:

  1. Check out the farm building confirmation form to see if your proposed development meets the criteria of a farm building.
  2. If the proposed farm building meets the criteria, complete and submit a farm building confirmation form.
  3. If the proposed farm building does not meet the criteria, submit a development permit application.

How long does it take to get a development permit?
A development permit application can take 4 to 6 weeks to process once a completed application containing all required information is received.

Do I need other permits?
Most development (new buildings, additions, renovations, relocations and demolitions) requires a building permit, and may also require electrical, gas, water or sewer permits. Greenview does NOT issue these permits. You can obtain these permits by contacting an accredited agency approved by Alberta Municipal Affairs.

What are the fees for a development permit?
Fees are regulated by Greenview’s current Schedule of Fees Bylaw (Section ‘I’).