Non residential/commercial taxes are due June 30th of each year, and residential/farmland taxes are due November 15th of each year. Greenview strives to send out tax notices by May 1st each year.

If you have not received a tax notice by June 1, please contact the Finance Coordinator, Taxation & Assessment at 780.524.7600 or select contact us at the bottom of the page to send an email message, as you are liable to pay your taxes even if a notice has not been received.

An 8% penalty is applied to unpaid current taxes on July 1st for non-residential/commercial properties and November 16th for residential/farmland properties each year. A further 10% penalty is applied to all outstanding taxes on January 1st of each year. Any tax account that is one year in arrears receives an additional 18% penalty. Taxes that remain unpaid at the beginning of the second calendar year following the year in which the tax notice is mailed will result in a tax notification being registered on their title. If the taxes still remain unpaid one year after that by legislation, the property will be put up for tax recovery public auction by the municipality. Example: 2009 taxes unpaid by January 1, 2011 tax notification registered on the title. January 1, 2012, taxes still unpaid tax recovery public auction.

Education Property Taxes*

In Alberta, education is a provincial program. The taxes that fund the program are raised and distributed on a provincial basis. Education property tax dollars are pooled in the Alberta School Foundation Fund and then allocated among school boards throughout the province.

This system of pooling taxes from all municipalities ensures that funds are available to provide all students with a standard level of education, no matter where they live.

Each year the province calculates the amount that every Alberta municipality must contribute towards the public education system. The calculation is based on a formula that takes into account the equalized assessment in each municipality and the provincial uniform education property tax rate.

The province notifies municipalities of the amount of education taxes they are required to collect. Each municipality then establishes a local education property tax rate. This tax rate is calculated by dividing the required amount by the municipality’s current taxable assessment.

The municipality then applies its local education tax rate to the assessed value of each property to determine the amount of education taxes each property owner is required to pay for the year. The education property tax is included on the annual Combined Property Assessment and Tax notice that is sent to property owners. The education tax dollars are collected from the ratepayers and sent to the province or to a separate school board. All separate school boards in the province have “opted out” of the Alberta School Foundation Fund, which means they requisition and collect property tax money from the municipalities directly.

Commonly Asked Questions*

Does everyone pay the education property tax?
All property owners pay the education property tax. People who rent or lease property contribute indirectly through their monthly rent or lease payments. As the education system benefits all Albertans, people without children in school also pay the education property tax.

Do seniors have to pay the education property tax?
Seniors who own property must pay the education property tax, however there are a number of options which may provide assistance.

The Government of Alberta has established the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program which allows eligible senior homeowners to defer all or part of their property taxes through a low-interest home equity loan with the Alberta government. The Government of Alberta then pays the property taxes on behalf of the eligible home owner. The loan does not have to be repaid until the property is sold or sooner if the home owner chooses.

The Government of Alberta also provides financial assistance to low-income seniors through the Alberta Seniors Benefit. The Alberta Seniors Benefit provides monthly cash benefits, which can help seniors with their property taxes or other expenses. It provides support in addition to the federal benefits received including Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement.

For more information about the Alberta Education Property Tax call toll free by dialing 310.0000 and then 780.422.7125.

Seniors can contact Alberta Seniors toll-free at 1.877.644.9992 or visit their website for more information on:

* Source: The Government of Alberta