The Rural Acreage Owner Herbicide Program was initiated to ensure rural acreage owners (RAO) have access to select Commercial class herbicides to control Prohibited Noxious and Noxious weeds (as designated under the Weed Control Act). Greenview Agricultural Services has multiple Pesticide Applicator License holders on staff. Only those with a valid license may act as a designate. Greenview can only provide this program to residents of Greenview.

Rural Acreage Owner Herbicide Program Brochure

Greenview has recognized the distance some residents were required to travel to obtain a range and pasture herbicide product. To bridge this gap, Greenview has become a vendor for a select few range and pasture products for residents to purchase at cost. To qualify to purchase herbicide under this program, a person must be a commercial agriculturalist, have a Rural Acreage Owner Certificate, and/or a Pesticide Applicators License.

Greenview has recognized that there are some significant infestations of Tall Buttercup and/or Burdock. To assist landowners with the control of these invasive plants, landowners can apply for a rebate of $15 per acre sprayed to a maximum of $2,400 per landholder per year.

Applicants would be required to select an herbicide from a list of products approved under this program, purchase their products, and submit the receipts. The rebate payment will be calculated using the number of acres sprayed with the approved herbicide multiplied by the dollar amount. Once the application has been completed, department staff will confirm that the herbicide was applied and the desired level of weed destruction or control was achieved.

Eligible Weed Species:

  • Tall Buttercup (Ranunculus acris),
  • Burdock (Articum lappa/minus/tomentosum),
  • Common Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare),
  • Scentless Chamomile (Tripleurospermum inodorum),
  • Ox-Eye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare),
  • White Cockle (Silene latifolia Poir. ssp. alba),
  • Common Toadflax (Linaria vulgaris).

Weed Incentive Program Application Form

Greenview strives to make residents aware of the programs available to control invasive plants and new/emerging weed species in our area and assist with options for control on their own.

Greenview recognizes that some producers may not have appropriate herbicide application equipment available to them. Our robust rental fleet includes several different herbicide application equipment available for rent to residents. We also can assist with application rates.

Equipment Rental Information & Catalog

Greenview recognizes that fence lines can be difficult to control for invasive plant species. We offer this program to spray a residual herbicide free of charge along a fence line that runs adjacent to a municipal roadway. How to apply? Please give us a call at 780-524-7621, and we will be happy to assist you.

Greenview recognizes that landowners of smaller parcels or who are not producers may not have the equipment available to control infestations on their own. This program is offered to residents free of charge to assist with controlling smaller infestations on their property. How to apply? Please give us a call at 780-524-7621, and we will be happy to assist you.

Scentless Chamomile Picking for Non-Profits Program (Grande Cache Only)

Greenview has recognized that the Grande Cache area has a significant infestation of Scentless Chamomile throughout the hamlet. With the idea of ‘many hands make quick work’ and the sense of community prevalent throughout Greenview, residents can apply to pick scentless chamomile in return for a donation on their behalf to a non-profit of their choice. How to apply? Please call 780-558-9154, and we will be happy to assist you.

Scentless Chamomile Incentive Application

Greenview is one of 20 municipalities participating in the Alberta Certified Weed Free Forage Program, and we want to help you get certified!

Is Your Forage Certified Weed Free?

Are you a forage producer interested in helping prevent the spread of invasive species?  If so, read more about Alberta’s Certified Weed Free Forage Program, how you can participate, and how the Alberta Invasive Species Council (AISC) will help you sell your forage!

What is the Weed Free Forage Program?

Certified Weed Free Forage is any forage product that was grown in fields that were inspected and found to be free of any viable seed or reproductive plant parts of any species identified in the North American Species Management Association’s Weed Free Forage Minimum Certification Standards, the Alberta Weed Control Act, and Greenview’s Designated Noxious Weeds Bylaw (22-894).

Greenview supports two programs, one is Alberta recognized and one is only Greenview recognized.

Certified weed free forage products are becoming a more in demand product, especially for use in protected areas and parks. The Program offers a way for producers to certify their product as weed-free and to provide a premium product.

Who can access the program?

Any producer with hay land can participate in this program. The entire parcel does NOT need to be weed free as our inspectors can designate areas as weed free, which then will be required to be harvested prior to the ‘non-weed free’ areas.

Why certify my forage as  “Weed Free”?

Environmental Benefits: Invasive plants are detrimental to Alberta’s economy and environment.  They degrade natural areas, decrease biodiversity, and reduce food and habitat for wildlife.  Contaminated hay is one method that invasive plants spread.
Economic Benefits: As an added bonus, AISC will promote Certified Weed Free Forages to potential forage buyers, helping producers sell their Certified products! AISC will publicly provide contact information for producers with Certified Weed Free Forage inventory, run articles in local papers, publish social media posts, and include information on the program in their quarterly newsletter.

When can I have my forage certified as weed free?

To have your forage certified as weed free, call the Greenview Agricultural Services Office at 780.524.7621 to set up an inspection time. Once the inspection is complete, the producer is required to have the forage harvested within 10 days or a re-inspections will be required.

How is the forage certified as weed free?

Inspections are conducted by a Certified Weed Free Forage Inspector who walks through the field and forage storage area identifying all plant species present. Once the inspection is complete, producers have 10 days to cut the forage stand. If a crop is not cut within that timeline, a new inspection must be conducted.

Specialized twine (Provincially recognized program) or be tracked per field and a manifest produced (Greenview recognized only) must be utilized for marking bales as certified and must be transported separately from non-certified forage.

What is the cost?

  • There is no cost for the inspection
  • Twine = $25.88/Roll or $51.76/Box.
    Price may change as per Greenview’s Schedule of Fees Bylaw.


Invasive species such as terrestrial invasive plants are detrimental to Alberta’s environment and can cost an estimated $1 billion each year. Contaminated hay is one means by which invasive plants are spread. To address this, the North American Invasive Weed Management Association has set industry guidelines and maintains minimum standards for Certified Weed Free products in Alberta, which are recognized across North America. As a participating county, we intend to promote this program to potential buyers and help producers certify and sell their Certified Weed Free Forage!

What is the benefit?

Certified Weed Free Forage is a value-added product, and producers with an inventory of Certified Weed Free Forage will be listed on the Alberta Invasive Species Council (AISC) website! As demand for this product grows, being a supplier will not only help protect Alberta from the harmful impacts of invasive species, but their website will help you sell your Certified Weed Free Forage to potential buyers!

Program Information:

  • Inspections must be conducted by a Certified Weed Free Forage Inspector within 10 days of harvest.
  • Inspectors may certify all or a portion of a field as “weed free”.
  • Invasive species may be present in a field certified as weed free, as long as there are no propagative plant parts (e.g. flowers, seed heads, root fragments) present.
  • AISC maintains a publicly available list of producers with Certified Weed Free Forage inventory.  This list is updated frequently, available on the AISC website.  Contact AISC at at 587.999.0954 or to be added to this list.

Help us protect Alberta from the harmful impacts of invasive species by spreading the word (not the plant!) about Alberta’s Weed Free Forage progra

How can I get inspected?

Contact Greenview Agricultural Services at 780.524.7621 and have a Certified Weed Inspector come out and inspect your forage!

More information & resources: