FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Council Highlights – November 9, 2020
Partial Road Allowance Closure Requests Approved
Greenview Council moved to approve the following Partial Road Allowance Closure Requests:
- Bylaw No.20-839 – Partial Road Allowance Closure Request South of SE-25-70-25-5: Greenview received a road closure request from Sturgeon Heights Community Club on August 1, 2019, to close 0.227 hectares (0.56 acre) ± of the undeveloped road allowance adjacent to the south boundary of the cemetery where gravesites are located.
- Bylaw No.20-840 – Partial Road Allowance Closure Request South of SE-09-72-01-W6: Greenview received a road closure request on March 20, 2019, to close a portion of Road Plan 0421800 to consolidate with the existing title to an agricultural quarter.
- Bylaw 20-848 Partial Road Allowance Closure Request – West of NW-9-69-21-W5: Greenview received a road closure request on February 20, 2020, to close a portion of Road Plan 2761 PX being an area consisting of 1.05 hectares ± (2.59 acres). The area would subsequently be consolidated with the existing title to the agricultural quarter NW-9-69-21-W5 (Certificate of Title 112 369 890+5, cont. 62.67 hectares).
Greenview Establishes Advisory Board for Greenview Regional Multiplex
Greenview Council approved the Greenview Regional Multiplex Advisory Board Bylaw 20-861. The Advisory Board will act in an advisory capacity on all matters pertaining to the operations, maintenance and functions associated with the Greenview Regional Multiplex.
Council Approves Partial Road Allowance Request
Greenview received a road closure request from Northland Logistics Corp. (Northland) on February 28, 2020, to close the portion of Road Plan 0421800 located south and adjacent to the Northland lot SE-09-72-01-W6. Council moved to approve the sale and consolidation of approximately 1.250 hectares within Road Plan 0421800 to Northland Logistics Corp. for the fair market value of $6,800.00, with the agreement also requiring reimbursement to Greenview of the survey and transfer costs.
Closing the road allowance would eliminate the ability for large units to turn around, and the construction of a cul-de-sac to meet Greenview’s Municipal Servicing Standards will be necessary. Costs for the construction of the cul-de-sac will be shared equally with Northland Logistics Corp.
Communications Tower Site Lease Gets Approval for Grande Cache
Council moved to direct Administration to enter into a long-term lease agreement with Telus Communications for the installation of a communications tower in the Hamlet of Grande Cache.
Sale of Tax Forfeiture Property Approved
An underground parking stall in Grande Cache identified as Plan 0728033 Block 12, Tax Roll 26163012, was transferred into Greenview’s name as per Section 424 of the MGA on November 28, 2019, and as per Policy AD 27, this property can be sold by Greenview after November 28, 2020. Council directed Administration to sell the Tax Forfeiture property at fair market value by listing the property for $7,500 with a realtor in Grande Cache.
Greenview Appoints Returning Officer for 2021 General Election
The Government of Alberta made a number of changes to the Local Authorities Election Act in 2019 and 2020 in the lead up to the 2021 General Election. One of these changes was to require Council to appoint a Returning Officer (RO) and a Substitute Returning Officer (SRO) by resolution prior to June 30th of an election year. Council appointed Danielle Leurebourg as Returning Officer and Carolyn Ferraby as Substitute Returning Officer for the 2021 General Election in preparation for the nomination period beginning January 1, 2021.
Council Supports Grande Spirit Foundation Fundraising Efforts
This year seniors are feeling particularly isolated due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Greenview Council committed to support Grande Spirit Foundation with a sponsorship in the amount of $550.00 for their Harvest Dine & Dance Virtual Non-Event. 100% of the funds raised through this event will be contributed directly to enhancing the quality of life for seniors in isolation.
Grande Cache Community Events Foundation Sponsorship Approved
The Grande Cache Community Events Foundation is looking to create an outdoor Christmas experience in the Bird’s Eye Park beside the Grande Cache Tourism & Interpretive Centre. This event will coincide with the programming at the Grande Cache Tourism & Interpretive Centre. The Grande Cache Tourism & Interpretive Centre is providing 2020 Christmas programming at the Tourism & Interpretive Centre on a smaller scale than anticipated due to Covid 19. The event will include two separate areas that will work together to create a cohesive experience.
Council moved to approve a sponsorship in the amount of $3000.00 to the Grande Cache Community Events Foundation for an outdoor large-scale holiday event in partnership with the Grande Cache Tourism & Interpretive Centre, December 11 to January 2021, with funds to come from Community Service Miscellaneous Grants.
Upcoming Events and Meetings
- November 16, 2020 – Committee of the Whole Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- November 23, 2020 – Regular Council Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- November 25, 2020 – Agriculture Services Board Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
Media inquiries may be directed to:
Stacey Sevilla, Manager, Communications and Marketing
Stacey.Sevilla@mdgreenview.ab.ca or 780-524-7625