FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Council Highlights – November 23, 2020
Greenview Committed to STARS Support
Council has approved the STARS funding request in the amount of $210,000.00 for Grande Prairie base operations in 2021. STARS also submitted a request for Council consideration to enter into an agreement for a $500,000.00 commitment over a five-year term for the proposed new helicopter H145 to be based in Grande Prairie. STARS is in the process of replacing its fleet of nine helicopters commencing in May of 2019 and concluding in 2022. Their funding request to assist with the replacement of the helicopters will include contributions from federal, provincial and municipal governments, in addition to corporate and individual donations. STARS has proven to be a valuable service to residents in Greenview and all of Northern Alberta. Council moved to defer the funding request for the proposed helicopter replacement to upcoming budget discussions.
Council Holds Public Hearings for Bylaws 19-828 and 19-829
Greenview Council held public hearings for Bylaw 19-828 and 19-829 for proposed land use amendments. Both applications were submitted by Bearisto & Associates, who represented their clients at the hearings. Council received no comments before the hearing, and no concerns were provided to Council during the hearing. Third reading was given, and Council voted unanimously to adopt.
Greenview Council moved to approve the following land use amendment applications:
- Bylaw No.19-828 – Re-designate a 4.27-hectare ± area from Agricultural One (A-1) District to Country Residential One (CR-1) District within SE-06-70-06-W6. The parcel is located west of the Hamlet of Grovedale, Ward 8. These lands are located within an area designated for small-scale agricultural use within the Centralized Living boundary of the Grovedale Area Structure Plan (GASP).
- Bylaw No.19-829 – re-designate a 31.44-hectare ± area consisting of a 3.01-hectare ± area within Plan 0722233, Block 1, Lot 1 from Country Residential One (CR-1) District, and a 28.43-hectare ± area within SE-06-70-06-W6 from Agricultural One (A-1) District, to Agricultural Two (A-2) District. Construction and Engineering has requested road widening of 5.03 metres which will be addressed at the subdivision stage.
Greenview Adopts Elections Bylaw 20-862
In 2019 and 2020, the Government of Alberta made some changes to the Local Authorities Election Act. One significant change was that the nomination period opens on January 1, 2021, until 12:00 p.m. on nomination day (September 20, 2021). This change required Council to review aspects of the election by bylaw before December 31, 2020. Elections Bylaw 20-862 focuses on the areas under the Act where Council must make a decision by bylaw regarding the election (such as location to file nomination papers, the extension of voting station hours, death of a candidate, lists of electors, etc.) or where discretion exists for Council to determine certain matters by resolution (special ballots, institutional vote, appointments of RO and SRO, additional advance votes, etc.) at a later date. Council moved to adopt Bylaw 20-862 as presented.
Naming of Industrial Area Project Approved
Council approved Administrations recommendation to rename the Tri Municipal Industrial Partnership to Greenview Industrial Gateway, given a recent change in direction. This name change will give the proposed industrial area a clear identity and strategic approach to develop and market the project.
Greenview Approves Changes to Holiday Gatherings
Council moved to rescind their motion 20.11.582., 2020 Christmas Party, due to updated COVID-19 restrictions and in the interest of safety for employees. Recent recommendations from Alberta Health Services do not support unnecessary gatherings for the foreseeable future. Administration requested that Council allow for early closing of Administration offices and Public Service Buildings on the 31st of December, in light of the inability to gather during the holiday season and Council approved.
Grande Cache Karate Club Facility Rental Fees Reduced
The Grande Cache CASK Karate club has operated for almost 20 years and is looking to continue operating in Grande Cache through these uncertain times. The club has been denied access to the school gymnasiums due to COVID. In an effort to keep fees affordable for families through these challenging times, Council approved the request to reduce the hourly rental rate from $38.00 to $8.00.
Upcoming Events and Meetings
- December 14, 2020 – Regular Council Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- December 16, 2020 – Agriculture Services Board Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- December 21, 2020 – Committee of the Whole Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- December 24, 25, 28, 2020 – Greenview Administration Offices and Public Service Buildings Closed
Media inquiries may be directed to:
Manager, Communications and Marketing
Stacey.Sevilla@mdgreenview.ab.ca or 780-524-7625