TRANSFER STATIONS & LANDFILLS
The Environmental Services Department is responsible for the day to day operation and maintenance of the municipal solid waste sites throughout Greenview. This department is responsible for the following:
- 1 Class II landfill (Grande Cache). Residential and limited commercial waste excepted. Location of the recycling bins for Grande Cache.
- Managing and operating Partner for the Greenview Regional Waste Management Commission Class II Commercial Waste Landfill.
- 10 transfer stations (Grovedale, South Wapiti, DeBolt, Puskwaskau, Sturgeon Heights, New Fish Creek, Sunset House, Sweathouse and Little Smoky) NOTE: Sandy Bay transfer site only accepts household garbage, as it is a bin only site.
- 3 Transfer stations have inert landfill pits: DeBolt, New Fish Creek and Sunset house.
A solid waste transfer station is a facility that receives waste from a community where it is consolidated by transferring it to a larger vehicle for more efficient and economical transport, to another waste management facility for disposal or recycling.Alberta Environment and Parks offers a transfer station guidance manual which suggests best practices for environmental protection and workplace safety which Greenview implements.
- Grovedale, Sturgeon Heights, Little Smoky, South Wapiti, Sunset House, Sweat House, DeBolt, New Fish Creek and Puskwaskau
- Sandy Bay is an unmanned (walk in access only) for bagged household waste
- Class III landfills /transfer stations: Sunset House, New Fish Creek and DeBolt
MD of Greenview Transfer Station Map locations
Prepare Transfer Station Brochure
Greenview’s landfill pits operate under the Alberta Government code of Practice for Landfills. This document outlines minimum requirements for the construction, operation and reclamation of landfills that accept 10,000 tonnes or less per year of non-hazardous waste.
- Class II – Greenview Regional Commercial Landfill. Greenview Regional Waste Management Commission based on partnership between the Town of Valleyview, Town of Fox Creek and Greenview
- Class II landfill- Grande Cache Landfill. Accepts residential garbage and limited commercial garbage.
- Class III – Inert waste landfills – Located at the DeBolt, New Fish Creek and Sunset House transfer stations
LANDFILL & TRANSFER STATION HOURS OF OPERATION:
Click on the links below for landfill/transfer station site hours:
- Landfill and Transfer Station Hours Please note all locations are closed on statutory holidays.
LANDFILL/TRANSFER SITE LOCATIONS:
- Sunset House Transfer Station (NE 23-70-21-W5M)
- Sweathouse Transfer Station (SW 4-70-19-W5M)
- South Wapiti Transfer Station (SW 34-69-8-W6M)
- Puskwaskau Transfer Station/Landfill (NE 36-74-26-W5M)
- New Fish Creek Transfer Station (NW 16-72-21-W5M)
- DeBolt Transfer Station (SE 2-72-1-W6M)
- Little Smoky Transfer Station (NW 13-66-22-W5M)
- Sturgeon Heights Transfer Station (NW 13-70-25-W5M)
- Grovedale Transfer Station (SW 22-69-6-W6M)
- Sandy Bay Transfer Station (NW 9-71-23-W5M)
- Greenview Regional Land Fill (SW 18-67-20-W5M)
- Grande Cache Landfill NW-4-57-8-W6
GRANDE CACHE LANDFILL
The Grande Cache Landfill is located 1.2 km north of Grande Cache on Highway 40. The Landfill is Class II, and accepts both in town waste, and out of town waste.
Tuesday – Saturday: 10:30 am – 6:00 pm (last customer entry at 5:30 pm)
Sunday, Monday: CLOSED
Statutory holidays and Saturdays of longs weekends: CLOSED
SCHEDULE OF FEES
Effective July 26, 2019 Greenview residents will pay a zero-tipping fee to access the Grande Cache Landﬁll.
All garbage must be covered when transferred to the landﬁll. All material must be sorted and placed as directed into the appropriate areas.
- Vehicles must be drained of all fluids, and have tires removed prior to disposal
- E-waste (TV, computer, fax machine etc.)
- Tires (maximum 24.5” rim size but no rims)
- Household hazardous waste (bleach, household cleaners)
- Propane Tanks (maximum size 30 lbs)
- Yard Waste in the compost pile (grass clipping, leaves, branches, soil)
- Contaminated refuse and soil
- Gas and diesel
- Medical waste
- Dangerous goods, harmful chemicals, coolant, toxic waste, asbestos etc.
- Corrosive substances
- Railway Ties
- Mixed construction loads (must be sorted)
Grande Cache Recycling & Waste Management Brochure
Recycling at the Grande Cache Landfill