Greenview Business Licensing

In February 2020 Greenview updated the Business Licensing Bylaw (00-324) to encompass the Hamlet of Grande Cache. Business licenses are not mandatory within Greenview. If you require, a license can be issued for your business. Please contact the Planning Department team for more information.

Please note all business licenses within Greenview are valid from the date of issue and will expire on December 31st of the same calendar year.

Greenview Online Business License Directory

Businesses wishing to be included in the business license directory must have a valid business license issued by Greenview. There is no additional fee to have your business listed in Greenview’s Online Business Directory. Your company can be added to the directory at any time by advising our office in writing. Please include all contact information and a brief 2 sentence (maximum) description of your business. The directory is updated monthly.

To view the online business directory please click here.

Do I need a business license?

Greenview Business Licenses are not mandatory. Any person that owns or operates a business within Greenview may obtain a business license in accordance with  Bylaw 00-324.  This applies to all types of businesses as stated in our Land Use Bylaws (18-800 & 799):

Why do I need a business license?

A business license shows the public that your business meets requirements and is permitted to operate within Greenview. A license may be required for insurance purposes or for licensing requirements applicable to organizations outside of Greenview.

Do I need a development permit for my business?

You cannot operate a business in Greenview without first obtaining a development permit. A development permit is necessary to ensure that the proposed operation complies with the uses as stated in the Land Use Bylaw No. 18-800 or Land Use Bylaw 799 for the Hamlet of Grande Cache.  A development permit is required for all businesses operating on titled land, including all hamlets within Greenview.

How do I obtain a Business license?

Any person owning or operating a business within Greenview, whilst holding a valid development permit, may obtain an annual business license in accordance with the Licensing of Business Bylaw 00-324.  To apply for a new business license, you will be required to submit a Development Permit application first.

Please click here to visit to download applicable forms and Development Application Forms and Permits.

The development permit application fee is $50.00 per $100,000.00 of development costs. Once a development permit has been issued, please ensure a completed business license application is submitted to our office along with the $100.00 application fee for new businesses.  Please note that all landowners listed on the title must sign both applications.

How do I renew my business license?

A business license renewal letter is sent every year in November (if you renewed the year prior) to remind you to renew your business license.  All Greenview business licenses expire on December 31 of the same calendar year in which your business license was issued. Greenview’s current Schedule of Fees Bylaw provides costs for new or renewal, temporary/special event, hawker or peddlers (hamlet of Grande Cache ONLY), and commercial or industrial titled land- business licenses. Please contact a Greenview Public Service Office near you to pay the $50.00 business license renewal fee. Please note, if there have been any changes to your business operation, a development permit is required prior to the issuance of a business license. If there have been any changes to your business address, name, or contact information, please ensure our office is updated in writing.

The business I want to operate is not permitted in the location I would prefer, what options do I have?

The Land Use Bylaw regulates the types of business activities permitted in each district.  If your business is not listed as a “permitted” or “discretionary” use for the location desired, you may apply for a Land Use Amendment to rezone the land to accommodate the proposed business. Please contact the appropriate Development Officer for your area to further discuss the options available to you. Click here to see Development team contacts.

To contact the Greenview Planning & Development Department, please call 780-524-7600.

Click here to go to the Government of Alberta’s website for information on obtaining a business license in Alberta.