FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Grande Prairie Curling Club Gets Letter of Support to Host 2022 Provincial Men’s Championship
The Grande Prairie Curling Club is putting together a bid to host the 2022 Men’s Provincial Curling Championship, February 9 -13, 2022, in Grande Prairie and is requesting a letter of support. Council moved to provide a letter of support as this event will positively impact the community and create nationally televised exposure for the region.
Contract to Replace Greenview Highway Entrance and Hamlet Signs Awarded
Administration presented Council with information regarding proposals received from the RFP to replace Greenview highway entrance and hamlet signs recently posted to the Alberta Purchasing Connection website. Council reviewed and moved to award the contract to Blanchett Neon Ltd. with an upset limit of $495,000 with funds to come from the Communications capital projects budget.
Greenview to Participate in the Municipal Energy Manager Program
The government has taken the initiative to help with lowering energy costs operating/improving infrastructure. The funding is set up for a 1 or 2-year term and pays 80% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $80,000 per year. An Energy Manager will build a customized energy management plan, conduct an energy audit on the highest energy-consuming municipal building, lead cost, energy and emissions-reducing projects and achieve a 5% Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction. Council directed Administration to hire an Energy Manager through this program with the position contingent on the grant application’s success to cover 80% of the position with the remaining 20% to come from the 2021 operating budget.
Greenview to Enter into Agreement with the County of Grande Prairie for Class B Fire Training Facility
With the frequency of fires on the decline, firefighters do not have the same number of opportunities to learn the necessary skills and gain experience. With that, this gap must be closed by having access to safe and realistic fire training. Training in a realistic context provides an opportunity to develop a practical understanding of fire dynamics and firefighting skills proficiency for volunteer firefighters. Council directed Administration to enter into an agreement with the County of Grande Prairie for the development of a Class B fire training facility, located at 60051 Highway 668, County of Grande Prairie, totalling $250,000 with funds to come from the Municipal Stimulus Funding Grant Program.
Grande Cache Firefighters Association Training Centre Proposal Approved
The Grande Cache Firefighter’s Association (GCFA) has approached Greenview Fire-Rescue Services (GFRS) in pursuit of developing a Fire Training Centre on Greenview-owned land directly east of the Grande Cache Public Service building/Fire Station #33. With the exception of live fire training, this centre will offer multiple types of training opportunities to train above current certifications while remaining within Greenview dedicated current levels of service. Council authorized Administration to enter into an agreement with the Grande Cache Firefighters Association to develop a Fire Training Centre on the grounds of the Grande Cache Public Service Building (SE4 57-8 W6M), with an upset limit of $125,000.00 with funds to come from the 2021 Protective Services Capital Budget contingent on the Grande Cache Firefighters Association contribution of $82,000.00.
Upcoming Events and Meetings
- March 23, 2021 – Regular Council Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- March 24, 2021 – Agricultural Services Board Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- April 2, 2021 – Good Friday, Greenview Administration Offices Closed
- April 5, 2021 – Easter Monday, Greenview Administration Offices Closed
- April 13, 2021 – Regular Council Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
Media inquiries may be directed to:
Stacey Sevilla| Manager, Communications and Marketing
firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 780-524-7625