FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sturgeon Lake Area Structure Plan Approved
After a lengthy review of the Sturgeon Lake Area Structure Plan, Council gave First Reading to Bylaw 20-865 on December 9, 2020. A Public Hearing was held on February 9, 2021, where Council heard both written concerns and concerns from affected parties in attendance regarding the draft plan. Administration, along with the Consultant Dave McRae of ISL Engineering & Land Services, revised the draft Sturgeon Lake Area Structure Plan as follows:
- 2 Plan Area – include reference to Conservation Reserve
- 4.5 Interpretation – delete acronyms and move to Appendix A (Glossary)
- 2.6 Title of section renamed to correct an error
- 2.2 Add a more specific reference to stormwater management plans
- 2.15 Delete reference to beaches as they are included under the broader category of public recreation areas
- 2.16 New policy allowing for a variance to the development setback requirements
- 2.1 Add reference to permanent watercourses for clarity
- 2.8 Policy clarified respecting stormwater management plan requirements
- Appendix A
- Glossary expanded to include acronyms, additional legislative references (including web links), and additional terms
- Maps 1, 2
- Revised to include corrected Sturgeon Lake First Nations boundary
- Maps 3, 4
- Revised to show the island in West Bay and titled Crown Land on SW34 as Crown
Council gave third reading and moved to adopt the updates to the Sturgeon Lake Area Structure Plan as presented.
Greenview Policy Updates Approved
Administration updated numerous policies to current standards and updated position references and language. Greenview Council moved to accept the updates and changes to the following policies:
- Policy 4010 Road Access Approaches
- Policy 6003 Land Acquisition for Road Right-of-Way for Subdivision
- Policy 6007 Subdivision Process
- Policy 5004 Family and Community Support Services Volunteer Recognition
- Policy 6307 Veterinary Services Incorporated
Auditor Extension Granted
As a requirement of the Municipal Government Act (MGA), section 280, Council is required to appoint auditors for the municipality. Council awarded Metrix Group the audit services contract on September 24, 2018. The request for proposal included the audit years 2018 to 2020 with an option for a two-year extension. Council approved the extension of the external audit service contract for Greenview to Metrix Group LLP for a term of 2 years to include the 2021-year end, as outlined in the 2018 audit request for proposal.
Greenview to Enter Into Agreement at Grande Cache Airport for a Heli-Tack Base
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry endorsed a five-year agreement (2016 – 2022) with the former Town of Grande Cache for lease space at the Grande Cache Airport, with the term ending December 31, 2021. The agreement will authorize Agriculture and Forestry to lease space for a Heli-Tack Base located at the Grande Cache Airport. Council directed Administration to submit a lease agreement renewal with the Minister of Agriculture and Forestry for consideration.
Council Authorizes Tax Recovery Public Sale of Land
The Tax Recovery process is the last resort mechanism municipalities use to collect outstanding property taxes and is a strictly legislated process. When property taxes remain unpaid for more than one year, a Tax Notification Caveat is placed on the Land Title and notification is sent to the landowner and other interested parties as shown on the title advising them. If the property tax arrears remain unpaid on March 31 of the following year, the municipality may sell the property by Public Auction. The municipality has one year from April 1 to place the parcel for sale by public auction. Greenview Council voted to proceed with selling the identified properties by Public Auction. Details will be shared on the Greenview website.
Miss Teenage Alberta Gets Support From Greenview for National Event
Isabelle Moses, a teenager from Grovedale, Alberta, was successful in winning a delegate position in the Miss Teenage Alberta pageant. This has provided Isabelle with the opportunity to compete at Nationals in Toronto in August 2021 and the opportunity to be crowned Miss Teenage Canada. Isabelle will be competing against 80 other delegates in this ten-day event.
Isabelle’s charity of choice is the Alzheimer’s Society, where she will be the ambassador for the Alberta Northwest/Territory Region, and donations to the Society will remain in the Peace Region. She will be promoting the benefits of agriculture for healthier living, including the transition from field to table. Her passion for agriculture is apparent by her selection of a John Deere Green pageant gown. Isabelle is a very proud resident of Grovedale and would like to use this opportunity to bring national awareness to Grovedale and Greenview. Council moved to approve a sponsorship in the amount of $2000.00 to Isabelle Moses for the Miss Teenage Canada event, with funds to come from Special Achievement Awards.
Ratepayer Community BBQ Events to be Held in 2021
With health restrictions now lifted in Alberta, Greenview Council has chosen to move forward and hold the 2021 Ratepayer BBQ Events that were previously cancelled. Council directed Administration to begin planning the 2021 Ratepayers BBQ Events in Grande Cache, DeBolt, Valleyview, and Grovedale. The first Ratepayers BBQ event will be held on Tuesday, July 20, 2021, in the Hamlet of Grande Cache. Details will be available on the Greenview website and social media channels.
Upcoming Events and Meetings
- July 20, 2021 – Committee of the Whole, Grande Cache Public Service Building
- July 20, 2021 – Ratepayers BBQ, Grande Cache Recreation Centre Arena
- July 27, 2021 – Regular Council Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
- July 28, 2021 – Agricultural Services Board Meeting, Valleyview Council Chambers
Media inquiries may be directed to:
Manager, Communications and Marketing
firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 780-524-7625