Alberta Environment and Parks have released programs available for Producers to provide assistance to deal with the drought conditions this year have brought.

Due to the drought, they are able to allow subleasing on existing grazing leases. Leaseholders (that have extra forage available on their lease) are required to complete an “Other Livestock” Application in order to allow their lease to be sublet for grazing. Approval will only be given for this year.

Applications for haying authorizations on vacant Crown land can be submitted, and reviews will be expedited.

Applications for temporary grazing on vacant Crown land under a head tax permit can be submitted and will be reviewed for merit on a case by case basis. Areas of vacant Crown land suitable for grazing are limited and would have to have temporary fencing.

For more information, please visit Alberta Environment and Parks Website.