How long is the subdivision process?
Subdivision applications can take up to 3 to 4 months to process.

Subdivision Application and Information Package is available online or at the Administrative Office in Valleyview.

How many lots can I subdivide from my quarter section?
A ‘First Parcel Out’ or ‘Farmstead’ Subdivision occurs on a quarter section that has not been previously subdivided. The subdivision is one parcel and had previously been restricted to 10 acres in size. However, the Land Use Bylaw No. 18-800 was recently updated and adopted by council, allowing subdivision of a first parcel out to a maximum of 20 acres in size.

A multi-parcel subdivision application requires rezoning to either Country Residential One (CR-1) District or Country Residential 2 (CR-2) District which allows a higher density of development.

Other types of subdivisions such as commercial or industrial uses are dealt with on an individual basis.

What needs to be submitted with a subdivision application?
The following must be submitted with a Subdivision application:

  • A completed Subdivision Application
  • In accordance with Greenview’s Development Guidelines & Municipal Servicing Standards (DGMSS), a Tentative Survey Plan prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor must be submitted with your application. The Tentative Survey Plan will include the location, dimensions and boundaries of the existing titled area and of each new lot to be created; the location of all existing buildings; the location of natural features on the property (i.e. lake, sloughs or other water body, treed areas, steep banks or ravines);  and the location of man-made features (i.e. pipelines, oil or gas wells or sewage disposal systems); and
  • Subdivision fees, as outlined in the Schedule of Fees.

When does my property need to be surveyed?
You are responsible for contacting an Alberta Land Surveyor who will prepare a Tentative Survey Plan prior to submission of a Subdivision application.

After the subdivision is conditionally approved,  you are responsible for contacting an Alberta Land Surveyor who will prepare a Legal Plan. Costs vary based on the surveyor, type of plan and number of lots being created. In some cases a Descriptive Plan rather a Plan of Survey may be prepared. If you are unsure which is required for your subdivision, please contact our Planning and Development staff.

When will my subdivision be endorsed?
Your subdivision must be endorsed by Greenview before your conditional subdivision approval expires. In order for your subdivision to be endorsed you must:

  • Meet all conditions of subdivision approval;
  • Have your property surveyed by a professional Alberta Land Surveyor; and
  • Pay the endorsement fees for each parcel as set out in the Schedule of Fees.

Once the plan is endorsed, it is returned to the Surveyor who will take the plan to Alberta Land Titles for registration. Registration of the plan must be completed within one (1) year following endorsement.

Subdivision Inquiries
If you have questions regarding subdividing your land, or have a specific subdivision inquiry, please contact the municipality’s Planning & Development Department. A response on an inquiry is not a decision, but it will give you an idea as to whether your proposal is possible under the current legislation.