Development Permits

How can I obtain a development permit application?
A development permit application can be obtained at our Administration office or you can print an application below:

Development Permit Application Package – Titled Land
Development Permit Application Package – Crown Land

Why do I need a development permit?
A development permit is issued in accordance with the requirements of Greenview’s Land Use Bylaw, which authorizes the development to take place.  A development permit ensures that the proposed use of a development conforms to the development requirements for that specific district.

When do I need a development permit?
A development permit is required prior to any development taking place.

What types of development require a development permit?
Developments and uses that require a development permit include but are not limited to the following:

  • Accessory buildings
  • Compressor installations
  • Dwelling unit, single detached
  • Dwelling unit, manufactured
  • Suites
  • Home occupations (major & minor)
  • Kennels
  • Pipe and equipment storage
  • Recreational (extensive and intensive)
  • Sand and gravel extraction
  • Signage
  • Solar collectors
  • Wind energy conversion systems
  • Work camps

For a more comprehensive list of developments requiring a permit, please consult our Land Use Bylaw No. 18-800 or contact the Planning & Development department for further explanation.

Is a development permit required for renovations to an existing building?
Yes.  Renovations resulting in an expansion of usable floor area require a permit.

Is a development permit required for moving or replacing an existing building?
Yes. Moving or replacing a manufactured home, mobile home, residence or any accessory building whether placed on skids or a permanent foundation, regardless of size, also requires a development permit.

What is a variance granted for?
A variance may be granted to change or alter development standards prescribed by the Land Use Bylaw No. 18-800 at the discretion of the development authority.

Variances may be granted for:

  • A change to setbacks from the front, rear or side property lines to a structure or building;
  • A change to the permitted size or area of a building;
  • A change to the size or a lot area required for specific uses.

How long does it take to get a development permit?
A development permit application can take 4 to 6 weeks to process once a completed application containing all required information is received.

Do I need any other permits?
Remember that a development permit is not a Building permit.  Building permits are required for most new buildings, additions, renovations, relocations and demolitions. Depending on your development, you may also require one or more additional permits such as an electrical permit, plumbing permit and gas permit. The Municipal District of Greenview No. 16 does not issue building, electrical, gas or plumbing (sewer/water) permits.  These permits can be obtained by contacting one of Alberta Municipal Affairs Approved Accredited Agencies.

What are the fees for a development permit?
Fees are regulated by the Schedule of Fees Bylaw.

  • Development Permit Application – $50.00 for every $100,000.00 of construction/project costs (example: $250,000.00 project cost = $150.00 permit fee).
  • Rural Addressing Signage (for new development only) – $50.00
  • Approach Application Request (for properties requiring a new approach) – $175.00 per approach